Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
I'll get to the cookies, I promise, but first, have any of you heard of Coconut Palm Sugar? My brother recently enlightened me about the stuff so I excitedly told Dan I wanted to try it. To my sweet surprise, he put a bag in my stocking. I'm already hooked, and so is he! It's sugar extracted from the coconut tree, more specifically the coconut blossoms...so it's unrefined, low glycemic, contains amino acids, minerals, vitamin C, B vitamins, and can replace brown sugar 1 for 1 in baking. All this in an all natural sweetener? Where have I been living that I didn't even know this existed!? I've used it in oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, and yup, you guessed it, these ultra delicious peanut butter dark chocolate chip cookies! I'm so happy I discovered this sugar alternative! It's perfect for anyone trying to reduce they're refined sugar intake, generally eat healthier, or for someone who is strict paleo!
Back to the cookies. Dan and I LOVE the peanut butter chocolate combo so I found a recipe I could tweak a bit. Here is the original. I used a bit less butter and replaced it with Greek yogurt, I used 100% whole wheat flour instead of refined white flour, dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate, this coconut palm sugar instead of brown sugar...AND 1/2 cup less sugar than the recipe called for all together. These cookies are not wimpy. They come out thick, just like the photo, very soft, and pack all the peanut butter chocolatey goodness you can imagine.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup [url href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ7HRME/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00CQ7HRME&linkCode=as2&tag=lauren08-20" target="_blank"]coconut palm sugar[/url]
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I love the Ghirardelli brand)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and palm sugar on medium until creamy - about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and egg
- In a separate bowl combine wheat flour, baking soda, and salt
- Add dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix on low to medium until combined
- Add the chocolate chips and mix on low until just combined
- Using hands, scoop mixture and roll into balls about 1.5 inches in diameter. Mixture will be VERY crumbly but will stick together when handled. Should make about 20 cookies. (I flattened each ball a bit before baking by gently pressing with the back of a spoon)
- Place on prepared baking sheet about an inch apart
- Bake about 9-11 minutes. Do NOT over bake. Cookies will look very similar coming out as they did going in. They stay round. This is normal!
- Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet than transfer to a wire rack to cool completely