Crunchy Red Cabbage Salad with Sweet Asian Vinaigrette
Thinking about this salad makes me salivate. It's sweet, salty, crunchy, and just simply satisfying. Inspired by a recipe my mother makes, I put my own spin on this Asian deliciousness in a bowl. I had this for lunch as is, but it's best consumed as a side dish, or make it a meal by adding grilled chicken or salmon!
It's no secret that the produce most vibrant in color will give us the highest benefits nutritionally, and red cabbage is no different. The bright purple hue reveals a strong concentration of antioxidants. Disease fighting, immune boosting, and high in vitamins, this pretty purple produce is the perfect pick. Wow, sorry, I got carried away there. Anyways, I am trying to say that this salad is choke full of healthy benefits, especially with the addition of sweet red bell peppers and green onion.
- For the Salad
- 1/2 red cabbage - finely shredded
- 1 red bell pepper - sliced thin
- 4 green onions - chopped
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts (or cashews)
- For the Sweet Asian Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 tbsp mirin (or honey)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Combine cabbage, red pepper, and green onion in a bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil, soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil until no separation is visible. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to evenly coat.
- Top with crushed peanuts and *toasted sesame seeds (see notes)
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.