Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
Eeeeek. My favorite time of year is right around the corner.
You guys, it never fails to give me all those warm & fuzzy nostalgia feelings.
Every. Single. Time.
The crisp, cool air inviting tall boots and oversized sweaters. Vibrant leaves dusting the ground. David Gray and Bon Iver humming on repeat. And pumpkin. Pumpkin EVERYTHING.
Lattes, pies, bread, cookies, and THESE PANCAKES.
These are the perfect mix of all those cravable pumpkin pie spices, with a touch of vanilla and hint of almond. I top mine with a few chopped pecans, banana slices, and a drizzle of raw local honey, but seriously, these babies are delicious straight up plain too. So much flavor. My husband likes his with a bit of maple syrup.
I'm not trying to rush summer or anything, trust me. I am loving these warm summer days outside with my babies (I can still call my 3 year old a baby, right?) Not to mention, I am well aware what's in store AFTER Fall - Mr. "he who will not be named". However, I believe in indulging in whatever you like, no matter the season. So yes, in my world, pumpkin is consumed on the reg, but just OD'd on in the Fall. ;)
Because of my recent affliction with Perioral Dermatitis - and egg sensitivity discovery - I've had to find alternative solutions while baking some of my favorites, like pancakes. The ones pictured were made with 2 "flax eggs", and you'd never know the difference! To make 1 flax egg, simple mix together 1 tbsp flax meal and 3 tbsp water. Let chill for at least 5 minutes to thicken. Wah-lah!
For those that missed my post about Perioral Dermatitis and food sensitivities, you can catch up on the latest right HERE. ;)
Pumpkin Protein Pancake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole oats
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (I use vegan brand [url href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYRXIIS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00MYRXIIS&linkCode=as2&tag=lauren08-20&linkId=5aa17599744a3e77ab15fc3dae2074f6" target="_blank"]Vega Protein + Greens[/url])
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs (*or flax egg to make vegan)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- Heat a griddle to 350 degrees or a fry pan to medium heat.
- Add all ingredients to a large food processor or blender, and blend to a smooth batter-like consistency - about 2 minutes.
- Spray griddle or frying pan with Pam (or melt butter). Pour batter and flip after pancakes begin to bubble.
- Top with banana, pecans, honey, maple syrup, or whatever your heart desires!
- Makes about 16 pancakes total.
Notes: *Flax egg* To make vegan, replace both eggs with 2 tbsp ground flax meal + 6 tbsp water. Stir together and let sit at least 5 minutes in fridge to thicken. To make gluten free, used certified gluten free oats.
This recipe will yield around 16 pancakes, and packs about 10-12 grams of protein per serving. Enjoy, my friends!