Watermelon Blueberry Mint Salad
It's very likely I ate more watermelon making this salad than what actually ended up in it. Sometimes you hit the jackpot with watermelon and it's so incredible juicy and sweet you wander off into a food coma fantasy-like state. You've been in one of those, right? You may be deep in a conversation but don't hear a word because all your senses are focused on one thing: that sweet chilled watermelon bursting in your mouth. And you can't stop. You want more. You need more.
That's about what happened to me.
The melon baller is great because it achieves pretty little spherical balls, but it also creates a lot of negative space and you lose a lot of good quality watermelon that you can't end up "balling". This is where my impeccable eating skills came into play. I made sure no watermelon was going to waste and by golly it didn't. A complete salad, and a full belly.
What makes this salad extra special is the hint of fresh mint and splash of fresh lemon juice. The blueberries bring an extra depth of color but you could sub in grapes or blackberries too.
Speaking of special, today is my last official day in my 20's. What a decade it has been.
In celebration of my 30th, I will be leaving for Florida TODAY (yay!) with my sister and spending my birthday at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Ooooh yes, you read that right. Dan surprised me with this trip, and boy does he know me well. I may be turning 30, but I'm a kid at heart! And I love me some Harry Potter.
No, Butterbeers are not clean, but I'm going to drink one anyway. #happybirthdaytome
- 4 cups fresh watermelon chunks (I used a melon baller, but square chunks work fine too)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- About 10 mint leaves
- Using a melon baller if you have one, ball 4 cups of watermelon (or cut into small cubes), and place into a large bowl
- Rinse blueberries and add to watermelon
- Squeeze 1/2 of a fresh lemon over the fruit and toss to coat
- Tear or slice mint leaves into small pieces and mix into fruit
- Cover and keep chilled until ready to serve